PowerTools don't work on template (dotx) files?

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM
Edited Feb 19, 2009 at 3:55 AM
I tried using the PowerTools against a dotx file and I get the error "Package is not an OpenXml document". Using the template and saving the file to a regular docx file works fine. So, where can I find info on the difference between the template file types and regular file types and the implications to the OpenXML standard as well as the tooling? I would even expand the question to other files like Building Blocks.dotx. Do these files follow the standard?

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:54 AM
Got a chance to step through the code. It's simply because the powertools code specifically checks for the word document content type. For the powertool method I was trying, specifically get-openxmlstyle, changing the code to also allow for the document template content type worked fine.

I would still appreciate someone addressing if generally speaking, the powertools will be safe to use with ALL open xml file types or if we should expect some methods may not work even with the file type check fix.
May 11, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Hi Shades,

The easiest way is to convert it to a docx and then convert it back when finished with it. Its a pain.